Taking A Break

All of us need a break from time to time. This is especially the case if you are caring for someone. You may need to attend appointments or wish to pursue an interest or hobby. You may need to take a break for a few hours, a few days or a week or so. This need for a break may be on an occasional basis or a more regular break may be needed
Crossroads Care Surrey

Crossroads gives practicle help to carers looking after relatives or friends in their own homes by providing a flexible relief care service for Carers. The organisations aim is to give carers some precious time for themselves by providing regular breaks from their caring responsibilities

Telephone 01372 869970

Better Care - provides comprehensive and residential and nursing home information
Care Quality Commission - their job is to check to make sure a range of services including residential and nursing homes are meeting requirements. You will find the latest reports of inspections on their website.

Contact SID Social Information on Disability 0800 04 39 39 5 for information on a taking a break such as respite care, care at home, holidays with help so that carers can have a break, holiday escorts

While you are taking a break you may need to find a residential or nursing home for the person you care for. There are two types of home, residential and nursing. Residential homes are for people who can no longer cope at home and need a little extra help. A nursing home is for people who need nursing care on a regular basis. There are a number of websites that may be able to help you choose the right nursing home for the person you care for but nothing is a substitute for visiting the homes and making your won judgement if it is the right place.
While your taking your break

GP  Carer Breaks

Your GP - GPs are usually the first place that you will have contact with the NHS, and GP's are well placed to recognise that someone is, or is about to become, a carer. GP practices can now offer a range of information to people who are caring for another. Surrey has a Carer Prescription which your GP can access in order to provide you with a range of services for Carers.